View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
Gee $50-$100 for bumble bee and wax caps? Most always they are bad, leaky, or way off value. When I get a TV or radio with those in it I replace them with modern types. Gosh I have thrown tons of those away. I should have saved them and became rich!

I had been watching a TV show a few years back, about people who use vintage electric guitar amplifiers.
They showed someone wanting to sell some amplifiers, and the buyers were interested, but demanded they be allowed to open the amplifiers to check the electronics inside.
When they opened them up, metal can (w/plastic cover) lytics were revealed. The prospective buyers refused to buy the amplifiers at any price, protesting that only paper lytics gave "The sound"!

Don't they know they can get "The sound" back by running a line from the power cord, through a resistor, to the grids of the input tubes?

Anyone who invested their money into a McIntosh, Scott or Fender amplifier "back in the day" certainly didn't want "The sound" A 60Hz buzz. There's a sucker born every minute!