View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 06:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a dream last night. Actually I had several dreams, but one interesting dream had me fiddling with the Philco 7053 CRT checkers again. The instrument was connected to the 12LP4, set on “beam current test,” and (as with all previous tests) the indicator lamp would not light. Then suddenly, for no apparent reason, the neon lamp flickered on. Then I woke up and felt disappointed that it was only a dream.

This morning I went back to the CRT checker connected to the 12LP4, trying to measure current from the cathode. I was reading 0.15 mA and the indicator stayed dark. I spent the next 30 minutes aimlessly checking voltage and current between every conceivable point at each test setting. Finally, I had the meter connected across the indicator lamp. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the neon lamp flickered on--and the instrument happened to be set for beam current! I disconnected the multimeter, and shut everything down. Then I powered up again, let it warm up, and repeated the beam current test, and it worked again. Then I connected the other 7053, and it worked, too.

Go figure.

I guess I finally had the cathode hot long enough to wake up the CRT. Maybe I’ll remember this next time.