View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM
David Thomas

I have the same Heathkit, with a matching power supply, but it needs work. It receives and transmits, but if the volume is turned up more than about 20%, it starts oscillating and won't stop until powered off and back on. I've replaced several leaky capacitors, but the problems still there. I need to pull it back off the shelf, dig in, and fix it. I read about the problem you're having, and yes, I believe that's a common issue with those. That was a really high-tech, state of the art piece of equipment when it came out. Most guys were still rock bound with crystals in those days.

I think old boat anchor ham stuff is fun to restore and use, but I couldn't do without modern gear. I've got new radios in both cars, and in the shack three Yaesu's (FT450D, FTM400DR, VX8DR). I use the vintage AM stuff for a couple of nets, and the Clegg Venus occasionally on sideband, but for regular day-to-day use I couldn't do without modern equipment.

On 2 meter AM, you might find some activity around. Kenwood TS-2000 rigs are popular, and they will do 2 meter AM......if you know somebody locally with that radio you could at least test the Gonset on the air. ARRL says 144.28 is where New York City area AM guys hang out.

Last edited by davet753; 07-25-2017 at 04:49 PM.