View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 AM
M is for Memory

Duds take up a sizable chunck of space. All my monochrome duds are crunched up in the landfill, same for all rectangular color duds. I gave away my glass roundy color duds that I haven't seen make a raster (since that's the only way to confirm the shadow mask and phosphor aren't damaged) and now only have 2 weak monochrome CRTs, 3 round glass colors (21FBP/FJP22), 1 maybe 2 21AXP22s and a 15GP22 waiting a chance to get rebuilt... I'd have no problem sinking ~$1200 into rebuilding the 3 21" color CRTs I've got if the service was available.
If I lived closer than 8 hours drive from the ETF I'd probably volunteer a weekend a month to learn the process and do rebuilds for them...I can't see it being profitable to pay someone to do it but if I donated my time a rebuild has to be worth more to the owner of a CRT than the materials and equipment running costs. If I had more space and fewer high dollar life goals I'd probably try to get my own rebuilding equipment. It's amazing to me that the ETF can get enough voulenteer time and effort to build a rebuilding shop but nobody is willing to take time to do actual rebuilds...There ought to be someone in the region with time on their hands and interest in keeping CRTs going.

It also amazes me that shops that currently rebuild modern CRTs won't take the job... you'd think if we got 10-100 CRTs of the same type like 21FBP22, 10BP4 or 12LP4 that some company would see it as a big enough job to be worth while.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4