View Single Post
Old 10-30-2022, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liammc00 View Post
Before I put the VCR back into use I did give the mechanism some basic maintenance like replaceing the old grease and cleaning the transport. The two belts are still good so I left them. The idler tire still works but it looks all cracked. I had a sears from 86 made by sanyo. No surprise it broke as it had plastic rails for the p guides and it was cracked so I part it out for the stk module and other useful parts.
JVC original belts lasted the longest in industry. If well-maintained and not overused, the original belts can last for up to 50 years or for life, actually. This is due to superior, finest rubber-material quality from manufacturing that was exclusive only for JVC and Zenith. Never, ever replace the original JVC belts with new, Chinese-made ones. Inferior rubber material quality. Easily turn to goo or melt into black, sticky liquid.

The second-best original belts came from Matsushita-made VCRs, under Panasonic, Quasar, Magnavox, General Electric, Curtis Mathes, JCPenney, Philco, and Sylvania brands. Matsushita belts used a yellow-powder coating into rubber material that will turn the gears and sliders from white to yellow color after a few years of use. If heavy-use or high-usage, the gears will turn from yellow to dark-brown color. The yellow-powder coating into rubber material helps prevent the belts to melt or turn to goo.

Average belts came from Toshiba, Sanyo, Sharp, NEC, mid-90s Symphonic, Emerson, and others. They have some yellow or black-powder coating material, but only at minimal amount. Expect about 20-year max lifespan.

The worst original belts came from Hitachi/RCA MBK-60, Mitsubishi MBK-29 & MBK-37, and Funai/Shintom MBK-66 & MBK-83 models. They turned to goo or melted easily into black liquid after few years of use from this one belt supplier, regardless of the humidity rating in your room. Always a terrible mess to clean up that can easily take you the whole day of cleaning for nothing. The bad belts from this one supplier did not have any coating material in rubber manufacturing that can protect from humidity and heat. They melted into black sticky liquid easily, while all of the gears are still in pure white color like brand-new.

Last edited by waltchan; 10-31-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Audiokarma