View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, that's fantastic! And in such good condition! If I brought that home, I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off it- I wouldn't sleep for days. Both styling and technology of the 1950's are pinnacles of mankind's efforts. Notice I didn't say "arguably".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

The sad thing is not the car but the collectors moving on with age to 60's/70's cars. I see so few of these at the shows I go to now. No '59's visible in my local shows now. They are gone...somewhere. Kinda like kids not collecting vintage tv sets now. I may be alone on an island but the ride is nice.
Unfortunately, that's a lesson most of us don't learn until it's too late. When I was a kid in the 70's, the most expensive collector cars were Duesenbergs, Packards, and Rolls Royces from the 20's-30's. Cobras and Ferraris could be had for less than $10k.
One fellow in my tiny home town had an aluminum-bodied (aka factory-built racer) Ferrari from the 50's with a chevy motor in his backyard. My dad, who loved cars, said it wasn't worth dragging home.

IMHO, those who can appreciate and afford a '59 aren't likely to do local shows anymore. Muscle cars have bragging rights at local shows, classics like yours are for folks that have a better understanding.

-Tim