View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
That ceramic across the line looks fine. It should be replaced regardless.

Most likely what happened was one of those filters was leaky and overheated while it was powered on. It was coincidental that it finally vented right when you turned it off. You really need to replace the electrolytics in the power supply, the fuses, and that across the line cap, then power up again slowly. I'd probably check the diodes in the power supply first too. None of that is particularly difficult to do, so you might want to try that yourself and see how far it gets you.
Yeah that makes sense to me I figured it was a capacitor issue. I traced down the likely origin of the problem as being somewhere in the power supply circuit.

Diodes going bad? I did not ever think to suspect diodes could fail, were early diodes more prone to failure back then?

Also what are your thoughts on there being performance issues caused by all those old carbon comp. resistors? I know they are notorious for drifting upwards in value as they age. They are also noisy usually. The issue though is that carbon film resistors will introduced inductance into the circuit which I heard apparently may cause issues in a vacuum tube circuit. Is it worth messing with replacing all the carbon comps and if so what should I replace them with?