View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yr Humble Narrator once did an EXTREMELY Stoopid thing w/his '76 Cutlass. Was going to school at Univ of Richmond, Roanoke, Va was about 1/2 way there. There was also a Girls' College, Hollins there, & I knew a couple girls who went there, they were from my hometown. Stopped in to see 'em, visited awhile, & then got back out on I-81, heading to I-64, & back to Richmond. Anyhow, before I left Roanoke, I saw a sign that said, "GAS, 59.9", & methinks, that's CHEAP gas for this interstate... This was in Spring '77. Anyhow, I pull in, stick the nozzle in, & commence fillin' 'er up... Guy came over, sez, You owe me 10 bux.. I sez, Nooooo, I used that CHEAP gas.. He looked at me funny, & said, Son, you just put $7.50 of Diesel in yr car.. Now, ALL of you know that there's times in a boy's life when he REALLY wants his Mama... That was one of 'em for me..Will it hurt my car ? No, but, Shit-For-Brains, it'll rattle & smoke. I went from Roanoke to Staunton, about 70 miles, I had it in 2nd gear, going 75-80, had the windows rolled down, A/C on "Get It", radio playin', ANYTHING I could do to burn up that damn Weasel.. It sounded like Ricky Ricardo's Rhumba Band, & put out a smoke screen that would do James Bond justice. It also got 37 MPG, I stopped almost every chance I could, & put more gas in it. Got back to school, shut it off & it just sat there, continuing to run, VERY roughly.. UR was a small school, everybody about knew everybody else, & good gossip travels FAST-I had people comin' up to me if I was the one who put Diesel in his car, & then they'd crack up But the car suffered no long-term ill effects, it all worked out OK.. But I DON'T recommend doing it...(grin)