View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 07:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is that a flange anode connection like the 15G/15H tubes had? Interesting! It's obviously an all-glass tube and the gun structure and base do look a lot like those of the familiar 21" tubes. My guess would be that it probably used the same sulfide phosphors as the 21AXP22 and 21CYP22. The rare earth phosphors, as I remember from my research, were first used in the 21FBP22 and other early-60's tubes. I wonder if one of those developmental sets might still be hiding in some retired engineer's basement. If not, does anyone else think that a set could be built to bring that tube to life? Maybe someone with the right skills could build a suitable cabinet and mask, and a few of our technical-minded members could develop a chassis based on the technology of the era. Perhaps the set could be a group project and be displayed at a museum as modern-day collectors' interpretation of what might have been. Perhaps we could even make a special crate for transporting it safely, allowing it to be displayed at more than one museum at different times. A properly-designed chassis would operate the tube at the low end of its design's expected range of beam current, conserving its emission. Perhaps the set could be operated only on certain days for scheduled displays ... weekly shows from 4-6pm perhaps. Just tossing thoughts around.
Audiokarma