View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

noisey pic in Roundie philco

figured I would share my attempt to resolve this with the group.

the pic has excellent color, but there is always some background noise. Not snow, more like light streaking through out the pic.

I put the B&K analyst on it, the streaking is AFTER the tuner. I tried injecting at various IF stages, but with the transistor IF I had a hard time getting to the small leads to clip in.

I now plan to try signal tracing, again this time it will be the B&K analyst, with and with out a slide (what ever works best for finding the noise). I already put in a tube spacer at the video out tube. figured I would start there at the grid and plate and see if I can start to narrow it down.

it has been sugested that I check the cathode bypass cap on the video out tube (its a can cap, orig to the set) which is a good idea, but I really want to see if I can use my equipment to help me understand and trouble shoot.

I assume its a noisy plate load resistor, or a decoupler if its no in the bypass cap. Of course it could be up the chain so I am starting near the end. there is a video driver transistor and a cathode follower tube before that.

I just hope its not in the IF somewhere, if so I will have to see how well my demodulator prob works (something I picked up but have never used).