Thread: Helooooooooo
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM
M is for Memory

Welcome!

I find it interesting that Hitachi still had hybrid color sets as late as 1978.
Most of the major American companies went all Solid State on color between 1973-1975 and soon dropped the hybrid monochrome(meaning black&white) chassis as well, but some mono hybrids stuck around until the opening years 80's. There was one weird exception to use of tubes in color sets though. The all tube (it did use a transistor in the UHF tuner though) GE Portacolor which aside from minor cosmetic changes and a redesigned CRT midway through production stuck around unchanged from 1965-1979 (with some reports of early 80's units being found).

If I was you I would not have hung on to that Hitachi if it did not have that hybrid board as most solid state sets are not collectable. However the hybrid board makes it collectible and very interesting.

It is possible that realigning the color demodulator on your set will cure the gold yellows, but it does not look too bad right now.

There are lots of experienced techs here to give pointers on difficult repairs if you find your self confused working on something.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4