View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 02:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hitachi VT-5600A

Hi all, I found this at one of my local used stereo / music stores in town and didn't let it get away. Hitachi VT 5600A from (I think) 1979. Its not too badly beat up for a 38 year old VCR, just missing the lower door that covers the front jacks, and the top door for the clock / timer settings has broken hinges. Very superficial scratches and rub marks and that's it cosmetically. It was a bit dusty but 20 minutes of cleaning it and it came up as you see here. But (of course) it needs all belts replaced, as I would have expected, judging by what it does (doesn't) do. The only information I can find on the 'net is a copy of a service manual (site name eludes me at the moment) which also seems to be the only picture of one (grainy b/w pic) i can find as well. The VCR tries to thread, but nothing else other than FF and REW but always shuts down. I'm guessing that it has a fail-safe mechanism that detects no reel movement to stop the recorder if something goes awry. Capstan motor runs, and capstan is not seized. Definitely needs capstan, counter (may have two) belts at least. Pinch roller actually looks OK. I might have close substitutes for it somewhere in my parts stashes. I haven't yet had an opportunity to crack this open to get a good look inside. If anyone has information on belt/idler numbers or experience with this beast I would be very grateful indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my VT5600A.jpg (106.2 KB, 67 views)