View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Watson, come here, I want you!"

Last night while puzzling over what could do bad things to the horizontal frequency, I made a fortuitous accidental discovery. While checking some voltages I inadvertently touched the probe to the case of the horizontal centering pot and heard a "Zap!" Yup, the metal cases of both the horizontal and vertical centering pots were energized with big voltage.

I disconnected and removed both pots, on the horizontal pot found a short between a lug (not the wiper) and the case. Couldn't see anything wrong on the outside. Disassembled the pot expecting to find a stray big of solder or wire fragment. Didn't find anything.

Reassembled the pot, and there's no short, and the resistance range seems to be a normal 100 ohms to 1.9 Meg. So I'm gonna put it back together and see how it works.

BUT…the wiper lug is about to break off. It would be difficult to fix it in its normal position, but could I just solder it to the metal case? The metal tabs on the case are continuous with the wiper terminal, so if I soldered one of the tabs to ensure a good connection, then I could use any part of the case for the wiper connection. Would that work?

- Winky