View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
On low power devices, a bad electrolytic does not necessarily bulge because there is simply not enough power to heat up a shorted one enough to bulge. You may indeed have some shorted or open capacitors in the circuit, regardless of appearance.
But the first order of business is to clean off the battery connectors and check for voltage on the board, as mentioned above. Power switches often fail on these sets, so check for voltage on either side of the switch while turning it on and off.
Do you then hear a click/pop in the speaker when you operate the switch, or any scratch noises as you operate the volume control?

jr
I do not hear a popping noise through the speaker or a scratching noise through the speaker as the volume is rasied it is completely dead silent regardless of what I do with the power/volume switch.

I did clean most of the corrosion off of the battery terminals that I could and I still don't get anything.

Edit: Recleaned the terminals and reflowed the solder on the terminals on the terminal boards and I tested at the terminals with batteries installed and unit powered on, and I'm still getting nothing, tested at terminals with batteries installed and unit powered on with voltmeter and I get 1.5 volts at each terminal on the back side of the terminals, but then when I test at where the wires from the terminals go on the main circuit board with the unit powered on I only get a 1/3 of a volt and when the unit is powered off and I test at the place where the battery terminals connect to the main board I get 1.5 volts (there should be 4.5 volts there because that's all 3 of the batteries combined flowing into those wires.) Do I perhaps have a bad battery or something? I bought a package of batteries brand new from the store and I would of thought that they were all good but then again I bought generic batteries so who knows.

Last edited by Captainclock; 04-06-2016 at 03:35 PM.