View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 01:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
You can find Beryllium oxide in home use tranzistor radios or that used only in big power stuff?
AFAIK it's only used in high power RF transistors and tubes. Unless you're a radio amateur the only device in that class you might find in a home is the magnetron in a microwave oven. I don't think that these contain beryllium oxide. There will be a very clear warning label on the device if it does.

I've had the odd nasty shock from electronics kit but only one that might have been lethal. I was troubleshooting a 'scope and measuring the EHT on the CRT cathode. About -1.2kV DC. The insulation of the probe wasn't good enough and I got a belt. It hurt. A lot. Mainly due to violent muscle contraction, my arm ached for a couple of days. Fortunately I was also thrown clear by the muscle spasm. That EHT was derived from a mains transformer so there would have been plenty of current available to kill me.

By contrast when 25kV EHT from a Barco monitor jumped out and bit me it was like a bad insect sting. More current available than on a domestic TV but still nowhere near enough to be dangerous. The only real hazard was mechanical. I might have jumped back and hit my head on something.

Last edited by ppppenguin; 01-23-2016 at 02:05 AM.