View Single Post
Old 12-16-2023, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the next round of advice, see below in red my response. I will work through the below and report back.

What do you mean - "need to let it run a good amount of time?"
I snapped the picture right after the set came on with the tube substitute, I thought maybe letting the set run for 30min might make a difference as the tube warms up.
The difference in response with different tubes is way too much. It looks like the last waveform you posted is grossly mistuned, the dip at the 4th major division from the left should not be there, just a smooth slope like the next to last waveform.
I agree this is odd, when I substituted the alternate 6EJ7 I got the large dip, I could get a smooth slope but had to adjust the coil (L6) by approx 1 turn. I would think a bad socket as you noted could be a possible culprit. I will do some investigation here.
From your chart it looks like you replaced the few caps that were grossly out of tolerance., so unless you made a mistake resoldering them, there's no clue there.
the chart I posted was what I measured with the parts in circuit, no parts in the IF section with the exception to the 2 film capacitors were replaced. Everything I read says leave the IF section alone unless you are sure they are bad. As for the out of spec parts they are ceramic capacitors and I will guess/hope that if I lift a lead and measure they will be ok too, but I may have to come back and check. C19, C20, and C21 are listed as 10% and I ,measured them at 20%, so maybe worth pulling a lead to better test

Do you have more 6EJ7s to try?
Yes I will try some more swapping?

Could we be missing something that can't be seen in your posting, like a dirty socket? What happens if you wiggle the tube?
Is the tube shielded? Does the shield have good ground contact?
the chassis by design has no shields on the IF tubes, the chassis is also in very good clean shape, thus the tube sockets all look clean, that said I tried substituting with a 3rd 6EJ7 that I did wiggle and got the scope curve to bounce around, I will go back and check this out more closely

Last edited by bhegges; 12-16-2023 at 11:43 PM.