View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I actually did a full alignment on this radio (or as full of one as I could do seeing as I had no service data on this radio) and the audio and reception perked up quite a bit in fact this radio's AM Band reception is just as hot as my Zenith Trans-Oceanic's AM Band reception!

The FM Band is still a little weak on the reception (two local Christian Stations that are very close to each other on the dial, one at 104.7 and one at 105.3) kind of crowd each other out.

Also the dial tracking is a little off as well, the lower end of the tuning dial range in the FM mode showed the pointer at almost off the dial (to the point of almost falling off the track that the pointer rides on) and there was still a half a turn of the tuning knob left before it reached the bottom of the tuning condenser's lower range (fully meshed) and on the upper end of the dial the pointer only reached to between the 105 and 108 marker on the dial and the tuning capacitor was at the top of its range.

So to attempt to fix that without having to mess with the oscillator adjustments (which are hard to get to in this set because of how they have the tuning capacitor situated in this radio) I loosened the set screws holding the flywheel to the tuning capacitor and moved the flywheel so that it moved the pointer all the way to the top of the tuning dial and then tightened the setscrews on the flywheel again and then checked the tracking and it definitely tracks much better now.

But there still seems to be a tracking issue with the FM Band because as I said 2 of the local Christian stations that are pretty close to each other on the tuning dial still crowd each other out (the stronger of the 2 stations which is a 50kW station, is the one that crowds out the 5kW Station because the 50kW station for some reason starts showing up at about 104.2 on the dial (its very faint starting there) and then gets blaring loud once it gets to 104.7 its actual home frquency, and then gets faint again until it disappears at around 105.5 (and the station that is being crowded off the dial is at 105.3, and it is barely audible on this radio as it is crowded out by cross-talk from 104.7).

Which the way this radio is acting is similar to an old TRF set, except this isn't a TRF set its a Superhet set with 3 IF Stages and an RF Stage for both AM and FM, so you would think that this set would have better selectivity than this, but it doesn't for some reason.

Any ideas as to what might be going on here?