View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 AM
<----Zenith C845

Sheeesh! That has to be one of the worst restoration jobs I've ever seen. I have no quarrel with using newer components to replace old obsolete ones (except, as was noted in another post, when restoring very rare equipment), but as was noted, the new filter cap doesn't fit the original mounting as it should, and those solder joints...again I say, sheeesh!--it's a wonder the radio works at all.

Cold solder joints always mean trouble eventually, and those untrimmed component leads at the solder joints at terminals, tie points, etc. under the chassis are open invitations to shorts, not to mention the sloppy appearance of the "repair" itself. (I'm not crazy about those unsoldered leads either.) Whomever "serviced" this radio did so in a horribly slap-dash manner, and, of course, has quite a bit to learn about proper soldering techniques, not to mention substitution practices. This person has an analogue in the person of Oscar Madison in the 1970s TV series "The Odd Couple"--they are both sloppy as all get out. Crooner did a much, much better job restoring his Fisher receiver.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-05-2004 at 11:56 AM.