View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old,

That may have just been my chief engineer's imagination. He was a bit odd anyway. He believed in keeping used I/O's and vidicons in a refrigerator for reuse.

Sandy,

More 43 stories. My friend Paul was running it one night and between tapings of a church show, he was moving it out of the way. The pedestal wheels locked up and the momentum took the camera over. The pan-handle hit Paul and knocked him over. The ring hit first and the camera flew off (a cam head is just a floating connection) and hit on a corner and bent the frame so all of the boards on that side were listing to port. No glass damage. It was laying on its top with it's little rest feet sticking up in the air like a cartoon corpse. The best part was watching the church members standing in a ring around it praying for it and Paul. We did the news in B&W for a few days until RCA got us a loaner. Paul is fine and driving a limo in Chicago.

I was behind the camera one night doing the same church show when the block and tackle electric lift system in the pedestal cut loose and the camera dropped about 18" with a two-hundred pound thud. I held on and the pastor kept going.

The pic is Paul as stage manager and me behind it circa 1970 shooting the "womens news" segment of the 6pm news. The one for sale is near me and I am not tempted one little bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WCEE1.JPG (60.1 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 10-13-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Audiokarma