View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

Another type of camera chain I haven't seen mentioned here (yet) is the old DuMont "Electronicam" system. From what I understand about it, this supposedly was a TV camera that could capture images on motion-picture film at the same time it was sending those images to the TV station's control room. This system was used extensively by the old DuMont television network, particularly with the DuMont TV series "The Honeymooners" in the mid-1950s. If you look at the ending credits for these shows, you will often see the phrase "Filmed on the DuMont 'Electronicam' T-V film system." I think the Electronicam was the one sure way networks (at least DuMont) had of preserving shows on film in the '50s, as video tape hadn't been invented yet. If not for the Electronicam system, The Honeymooners, not to mention other DuMont productions, would have likely been lost forever once their first network run was done. I wonder, however, if any of the major networks (NBC, ABC, CBS) used similar systems to save their programming for later broadcast, for example to the West Coast which is three hours behind Eastern time.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma