View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popester View Post
When I worked at the tv shop a Sony KV-1920 came in for a repair and the jug was in need of replacement. That was my first set into the wonderful world of Trinitron. Our only other color sets were delta tube/shadow mask technology. I bought the Sony as the customer didn't want to fix it. The shop got a new jug from San Diego as their CRT plant was opened by then. The tv sat unrepaired for a long time as it needed the usual parts that would be taken out when the SC613 would fail. It needed SG613, HO transistor, and new style top hat damper diode. But after having that Sony finally working I became a true Trinitron follower and never looked back. Next set was a Sony KV2648R. I joined Videokarma when the 2648R died. I still have the KV1920 and it is operational, but needs a restoration if I were going to use it daily. I'm probably an oddball collector that only has one delta tube set. A 1968 Zenith color console, all tube. Everything else I collect will be a Sony product. That's how much I respect the Trinitron technology. Partly because I don't have room or time or space to collect anything that's large. I appreciate all the delta sets I see on here, but won't be collecting them. With about 20 sets I'm seeing a space issue. I just wish the CRT technology would of lasted longer.
I’m convinced that the Trinitron (which is really an improved Chromatron) was the best CRT period. I saw the first two in 1968, bought both and never looked back with the exception of an RCA 38 inch HD 16x9 set, followed by the Sony 36 inch, 16x9 HD XBR. I didn’t have to buy many Sony’s because they just last.