View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 02:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJVx View Post
Hello, I see many praises on Delta Gun sets.

For my own understanding, are all phosphor dot shadow mask CRT's Delta guns?

No. Prior to the introduction of the Trinitron in 1968, all shadow mask tubes were delta triad phosphor dots. With the success of the Sony Trinitron with its unbroken vertically applied phosphor stripes, American manufactures tried to emulate Sony. Sony had patents covering the aperture grill, so the slot mask tubes were the response. The slot mask CRT still was not as bright as the Trinitron because the slot mask was segmented and blocked more light energy from the delta guns. The Sony Trinitron is a improved Chromatron. The apparent superior clarity, depth of field, of the Trinitron was instantly recognized by the consumer and Sony enjoyed a 40 year production run until the emergence of flats panels. In fact Sony won an Emmy award for technology, the first color set to do so.

Also If i am correct, GE was the first to implement the three segmented rectangle phosphor vertical line CRT's, and Sony had a similar design in their Trinitron, but the vertical phosphors were not segmented. Both non-delta guns.

You are correct, except the first inline tube from GE was not a slot mask. Sony was first with the unbroken vertical stripes.

So that said, why does the general consensus lean towards preferring delta gun CRT's?
[B]The collectible color sets desired by many collectors comes from sets manufactured in the “Golden Age” of television. (1950’s) which used the delta gun design. Many, myself included, collect these sets for nostalgia. I grew up in the late 40’s and 50’s. Many folks say they prefer the color from the 50’s sets and indeed, RCA had correct NTSC phosphors in the 15GP22.

The early delta gun sets from the 50’s and 60’s are not superior to newer technologies of the 70’s through 2000’s, but it is amazing to see how well the 50’s technology looks today on a restored color set. [B]

Last edited by etype2; 05-13-2019 at 02:44 PM.