View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 12:26 PM
M is for Memory

Let's see if I can explain this.... not all dot phosphor color sets are deltagun and not all stripe phosphor color is in line, but in TVs one can argue that it is the majority case. The first generation GE portacolor 11" CRT was an in line gun firing into what was basically the center 11" of a 21FBP22 deltagun CRT sliced out and stuck in a smaller cone. The Japanese market chromatron CRT (which was the Japanese taking an un manufacturable American design getting it as close to practical as possible then building it despite VERY high manufacturing dud rate) used continuous vertical phosphor stripes, and some used deltaguns. Shadow mask dot phosphor with in line guns was popular in computer monitors until the end of the CRT, and was used in some TVs. Breaking the stripe into blocks happened shortly after in line CRTs caught on in the US and IIRC had to to with imagine enhancement and black matrix technology (something Zenith rolled out in their deltagun chromacolor CRTs).

As for preference most TV collectors want sets that use vacuum tube or hybrid chassis, but not solid state... aside from the portacolor and Sony's the in line did not gain traction in the US untill just after the last hybrids we're being phased out... also at that time most of the last US TV manufacturing was being phased out so most sets of that period are seen as 15 year old wall Mart Chinese/Japanese garbage by collectors.

Neither technology was necessarily better or worse performance wise, but for the most part the era changed with the end of the deltagun.

Some folks like myself who don't officially collect solid state sets do grab SS deltaguns because the CRTs interchange with more desirable sets and by then were usually black matrix which is an upgrade....Also better SS deltagun CRT sets like the Zenith CCII were at least as good as a Trinitron, and last forever.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4