View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

'90's Magnavox BPC VCR braking problem

I bought this for $10 under the pretense that it was working properly. It actually started off OK, until I placed the machine in "FF" and then pressed the "stop" and then the "play" button. The picture was very jumpy and unwatchable for a few seconds. Upon removing the top cover, I noticed a problem. When the machine is placed into FF and then stopped, the tape supply reel does not immediately stop; thus, spilling tape inside the cassette housing. When play is pressed, the picture is distorted and the supply reel does not turn until the take up reel has time to wind the excess tape that spilled out into the tape housing. Attempting to rewind was a near fatal mistake, as the machine locked up and went into protect mode when the rewind cycle was stopped. After playing with it for several minutes, the machine finally agreed to eject the tape. Besides belt replacement, head cleaning, and power supply repairs; I have never been that great on repairing VCR's and never really wanted to be that great. I know this is not a great VCR; but, it's a little better than the junk made over the last few years. If I can fix it cheap enough, I'd like to keep it for a spare. If it's not worth repairing, at least it can be used for an RF modulator and an analog cable tuner. This is a Magnavox VCR and the model number is VRU262AT23 and I have an idea that this unit was actually built by Funai.