View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 02:09 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post
What was the deal with Sanyo and buying companies back then? I believe Sanyo bought Fisher around the same time, and then bought Marantz later. I have worked on Marantz gear that was built the exact same as later Sanyo era fisher stuff. It's been a few years though.

I tested the tube today in this Sears set after finding a #23 adapter. The CRT tests very good and I made sure to test it following the manual, then found a video online to follow just in case there was a mistake. Now it seems time for the LUM section to get resoldered and checked. It really is nice to know the CRT is good rather than just dig into a tv that could be a lost cause.

Also the way this set is built is super cool. The two board chassis design is something I haven't seen yet. Most sets here either have one single board, or they're a Zenith set with boards all over the place.
Sanyo never owned Marantz. They owned Fisher. The cheapie Marantz gear you refer to was when Marantz was owned by B&K/Dynascan and common rent to own store fare, and I bet outsourced to Sanyo to build, when Marantz hit rock bottom. In between the SuperScope and Philips era. During the B&K/DynaScan era, there was Marantz Japan which was not available here except for a few items. Who made much better equipment than was then offered here in the same time frame (and some of it was sold here as top of the line Marantz offerings by B&K)

Silvertone was indeed bought by Sanyo, as it was part of the Warwick Electronics purchase by Sanyo. The Arkansas Plant became the Sanyo TV plant, and under Sanyo ownership went from bottom of the barrel, to one of the most reliable TV plants in the industry, by cleaning up the plant, and by vastly improved quality control practices and better management.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 08-21-2018 at 02:14 PM.