Thread: Tube Testers
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:28 AM
VK Member

I know what you mean about Ebay all too well. Granted, I've actually done really well with Ebay in the past with my record collecting and other things. If you can think of it, it's probably on Ebay. But sadly, it's also set a bad example for those who want to "appraise" something they know nothing about. "I've seen these sell for $200 on Ebay, so $150 is a deal, right?" Wrong.

I've found a couple clubs that have swap-meets, although these are held once in a blue moon and it would be a shame to drive over 100 miles and still not find what I'm looking for. Still, I'm going to look into attending one of these between now and next year. I would consider $50-$75 plenty enough for a good tester, in my opinion. Anything over that, even if it's a Hickok, would be a bit out of my price range.

Honestly, I would be okay with a "good" emissions tester. I rather like the idea of having a tester that's about the same vintage as most of the things I work with, but I'm not necessarily set out to grab an "antique" tester. I understand the limitations of the old equipment, but even a simple "good" or "bad" would be more than I've had to go on so far.

To sum it up, I would want a tester geared towards testing tubes for pre-1960 radios and televisions.