View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I am highly skeptical of the whole plan for over-the-air TV, long term. The biggest problem I see is that most people have already got used to paying for TV "service", independent of whether it has commercials or not. Many younger people (maybe even most of them, scarily) are not even aware of the concept of "free TV", I am afraid.

Even now, the mobile-friendly add-on to our existing digital TV system (ATSC M/H) already includes provision for, and approval of, encrypting those mobile-only channels and requiring payment to watch them. (Here, in the San Francisco area, one or more of my TV tuners comes up with some channels with names like ESPN that I cannot receive; I am guessing that there is already some pay-only service on the air or being tested here.)

With so many people already using cell phones or other Internet-connected devices to watch video (and paying for all of it as they do so, of course, and accepting that as reasonable), I have to wonder how any over-the-air broadcasters would have a plan to counteract that with some flashy, multichannel, mobile-friendly service that was only ad-supported. It just seems unlikely.

MUCH more likely, I fear, is the use of ATSC 3.0 to gradually turn the vast majority of the existing over-the-air channels, bands, and stations into mobile-friendly but full-fledged pay-TV systems, in other words, "cable TV without the cable, but at the same prices", more or less. That is my worst possible nightmare for television.
You make very good points. I to, agree that young people barely watch OTA TV. Also many people are cutting the chord (cable) and using streaming services. This trend will likely increase with more streaming services coming on line. Sony and Apple will introduce new services in September. Yet old folks in the retirement communities where I live, still have their old analogue antennas on their roofs.

I fear as you do that we will lose free TV, but we have the 75 year government mandated business model concept of free OTA in place and Congress upheld the concept that "every household should be able to receive free unobstructed television and radio transmissions". (This came about when condo and apartment owners tried to prevent tenants from installing antennas on their balconies)

My Direct TV bill is getting ridiculous and I too, am thinking about severing my subscription after 20 years with Direct TV. I'm anxious to see the Sony and Apple streaming models. 50 to 85 channels for $50. Being an old guy, was skeptical about streaming, but my wife bought me an Apple TV last Christmas and I have to say it is amazingly good. Video as good as Direct TV and better 7.1 sound. UHD is promised as well. I have not used the Netflix 4K service, but understand it's good.

Having said all this, where dose this leave traditional OTA television? They will either have to catch up with improved service, hopefully for free as always or die off.