View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Administrator

I moved the set to a safer location and swapped in the new CRT, while it did make a big improvement it still isn't right.

I have to put the tuner between channels to get a decent picture, if I put it on ch 3 and try to fine tune it I get a lot of distortion and interference, I also note that the brightness jumps up and down so I'm wondering if the AGC is causing a problem, I set it at a point where it gives the best picture, more and it gets to contrasty, less and the picture disappears.

With the color turned up the bars look pretty good, turn off the color and everything on the left disappears, I think it's just not bright enough or too contrasty to see.
It looks pretty good on a solid color like the DVD splash screen or the bright scene with Shirley Jones, but notice how dark objects have no detail at all.

At least I know my new 21FJ is good! I got the purity and convergence pretty decent for having spent all of a minute on it.

I guess I will continue to recap the chassis and see if it improves, it's full of Maroon drops and those do cause issues in B&W sets not too much older than this one, I bought all the Electrolytics for it also, dreading restuffing those but no choice since there's no room below to put them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color-bars.jpg (13.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg bandwbars.jpg (11.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg bluscreen.jpg (11.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg shirley.jpg (15.3 KB, 77 views)