View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
See if you can count the number of wires by looking into the end of the neck through the neck glass. The old gun removed from my 21AX was mounted on a 20 pin 15G stem.
I just went to look, and from what I can see it has the same number of pins the base does. But this particular tube was made very late in '54, so it's not like it's from the initial run or anything. In fact, the code 4-52 indicates it was made during the last week of '54.

Quote:
All this leads us to believe that the initial production run of 21AX tubes, which were used in the CT55 sets and which have this greenish color phosphor, may be using the full gamut phosphors like were used in the 15GP22 tubes. Some day we will need to test one of these green faced 21AX tubes with a colorimiter to see if they are indeed full gamut or not.

Sounds like another interesting project for a failed tube, obvisouly we would not want to destroy a rebuildable one. What is involved in the testing? Are samples taken of the actual phosphor, or just the light given off by it when excited? The observation makes sense, the screen has the same kind of look that a 15GP22 does with a little bit of sparkle I can't quite put my finger on.

Quote:
CT55's are known for having a brilliant color picture. Perhaps full gamut phosphors are part of the reason for this. After all, a CT55 is actually a CT100 with a 21" crt and a modified HV section. Perhaps the phosphors are also an extension of the CT100 series.

That's what I've always thought, but now the expert has confirmed!