View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 03:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I recap a chassis, I usually replace the resistors, and mica caps too. I get my 1W resistors from Mouser and they only cost 4 cents each, so I change them out. Of the past chassis I've done I see that at least 50% of the resistors are out of tolerance, 25% are very close, and 25% are within tolerance.

I'll cover what I do on a terminal strip. Tube sockets are treated the same. The first thing I do is take several pictures of the terminal strip. Then I draw out the terminals and what is connected to them. I also add where the other end is terminated. I then double check my drawing.

I then cut off the components and leave about 1/4 long leads still attached to the terminals. Then I use my solder sucker and solder wick, I clean off the terminal and remove the cut off leads. Then if a wire/wires are attached to the terminal, I clean it up and put the wire as far down the terminal as possible. I trim the leads to wrap around the terminal but not long enough to go back over the hole in the terminal. This keeps the hole opened up for additional components. When the wire/wires are set on the terminal, I then solder them to the terminal using as little solder as possible. I do this to be sure that the wire/wires are soldered to the terminal because when components are added and with the wire/wires being down low, they might be missed when adding solder. Also this small amount of solder holds the wire in place.

I then try to add the components in a logical manner. Once the terminal is fully populated, I solder it and then clean off the flux with an acid brush cut down to about 1/4 to 3/8 inch and acetone.

Audiokarma