View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Bob Galanter

I gather that Helium leak detectors are used primarily in very high tech industries, such as semiconductor foundrys, where equipment that utilizes vacuum sputtering equipment needs to be tested for leaks.

There are companies that will rent them for a fee of about $600/week. The problem is that special fixturing and plumbing would need to be fabricated in addition to having access to a Helium leak detector. And then there is the issue of the fact that not all of the 15G tubes would be on hand at one time for testing all in one batch. So the detector may need to be rented on numerous occasions. So it would be more cost effective to have our own unit on site.

But in any event, if we aren't successfull in sealing our first experimental leaker tube with Vacseal and another sealant product, then I would suspect there is no hope at all for rebuilding leakers. And then having a Helium leak detector would be of no use anyhow.

However, if we are successful in sealing our first leaker, then it would be interesting to locate the actual leaks in other tubes to see if they exist in the flange or in the neck end of the tube.

Time will tell and there is much to be done before we make the jump to light speed. The important part is that after 6 years of slow progress, we now are moving at a pretty good pace, and it should only be a mater of a few months before the next attempt is made at rebuilding some more 15G crt's.

When we have more news you can be sure that you will hear it first here on AK.

Bob

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com