View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Its the big 3 networks which have gone down the tubes . . .
That's what I meant. Programming on ABC, CBS and NBC was much better years ago than it is today, and there was no need for content ratings the likes of TV-G, TV-PG, etc. in TV's early years as are shown on American programs nowadays. Television technology, however, has improved by leaps and bounds, to the point where today's TV is, from a technological standpoint, much better than it was before DTV and high definition.

PBS, and the British TV channels on some cable systems (the latter are also available as standalone streaming channels on Roku and possibly other streaming video players), are about the only networks that don't carry garbage programming. Of course, if you want to see older (and in my opinion better) programs, your only recourse is either to watch them on DVD or on the retro DTV channels. The reason most programming on the broadcast networks is such trash is because that is what draws ratings.

We do not live in the world of Leave It to Beaver anymore, and the TV networks know it. Times have changed since the 1950s, and so has American TV, like it or not. If you don't like what you see, you always have the option of changing the channel, turning off the set entirely, or watching alternate programming on DTV subchannels, DVDs, or PBS. But do not expect the broadcast networks to improve their programming any time soon. Television reflects the views and morals of society, and as I said earlier, today's TV shows are the garbage they are simply because that is what today's TV viewers, by and large, want to watch.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.