View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 12:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I know that it wasn't the question, but if someone is questioning the proper method of discharging the second anode, I can only assume that they haven't done many, if any crt removals. So I just felt compelled to stress the truly important need for caution in the physical removal of a crt. The heavy glass crt is under high vacuum. So if anything you do cracks or breaks the glass, there will be an implosion resulting in flying glass. There is quite a bit of glass in a 21" round tube.

With that being said, there is a definite need for goggles. A set of decent gloves isn't a bad idea. Lay the set on it's face after the chassis has been removed. Unbolt the main retainers up near the inside of the face is. Usually there are four nuts (2 top and 2 bottom) holding the tube. Pick the tube up by finding two good holding points at the large end where the bolts or nuts were. NEVER pick the tube up by the electron gun or neck (skinny end). Hopefully you will have a place staged to gently set the tube down.

NOW; textbook safety dictates that a "dud" be placed in a container and the vacuum be relieved so that some poor soul doesn't come across it and succumb to it's dangers. HOWEVER: we are talking about a "roundie" tube. There are good folks here who may not like me if I were to suggest that you do anything to harm the tube. Plus you can get a few bucks for the thing as restoration of anything with a round tube is all the rage these days. Also, I doubt you are going to find any fans of yanking the guts of any decent old (that old) tv and making some other device or version out of it. The idea has been happening since the first tvs ever got old and deemed obsolete for whatever reason. I've never seen an obsolete television set. They either work or they don't... LOL! I hope this helps and good luck.