View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember in my teens and early twenties here in the UK, at that time there was a lot of mainstream US TV on the four channels. There is less so today, most is on pay Tv. US comedies like the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda, The Banana Splits, The Partridge Family, detective shows like Cannon, The Rockford Files and later Dallas and Dynasty, plus loads more, it was very popular.

General speaking the picture quality of American shows was very good, presumably because it was shot on film and broadcast as such here. Then in the mid eighties, if I remember rightly after about three seasons of Dallas, the picture quality suddenly deteriorated. I assumed at the time it was because the show was being shown as video rather than film. From about then on all US TV was of inferior quality to domestic stuff. You probably didn't notice it in the US, but to me it was glaringly obvious here.

Shows like Friends were originally shown in US video quality, but were clearly originally filmed as they are now being shown in HD and in widescreen, presumably they were converted to NTSC video for export originally.