Thread: AMC Eagle
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Why are you fixing the 4wd? The car is a survivor, I wouldn't be driving it anywhere 4wd is needed.
It's not 4WD in that you need sick mud flaps and killer suspension to climb mountains. If I wanted that I'd of bought a 4WD Tracker. It's 4WD in that you get traction on gravel roads, snowy highways and in my case, getting out of the driveway in winter. My 2WD Geo Tracker cannot exit the driveway with snow on the ground or it WILL NOT get out again until the snow melts. This is from experience.

I know all long the Pacific Northwest it is HIGHLY recommended you own a vehicle which can handle extended travel on paved highways and occasional dirt roads and winter mountain passes. In British Columbia especially as of October 1 you are required by law to have either winter tires installed or carry chains. Functioning 4WD that can be switched off for economy was considered when I pulled the trigger on this because putting chains on halfway up the Coq sucks but 4WD makes the ordeal a bit nicer until you hit Hope and you're 1000 feet below the snow line again and 4WD is no longer needed the the last 200km to Vancouver.

Quote:
I would be pretty worried about driving the car on salted roads.
Even with the Tracker I've had so many people say how it's strange seeing cars on the road out here that back East have not been seen on highways for over a decade because they have all succumbed to major rust.
Fact is out West we rarely use salt in the mountains because there are so many grades of gravel Road Maintenance can choose from and it can be recycled every spring when the highways are swept. The only times we use salt are when there are black ice warnings and it's a sprayed brine. So you end up with all levels of ancient cars running as daily drivers with almost no salt corrosion but LOTS of sandblasting and stone chips.
One of my neighbors drives a Lada Niva.

Last edited by MIPS; 10-04-2018 at 10:20 PM.