View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Yes, the numbers say they are more rare. I do believe that because the CT-100 is a more well known set, it is more sought after. Maybe that's why people aren't really searching for the 21-CT-55 as much as the CT-100?

I was surprized to have the winning bid as well, though to be honest I had no idea what would happen when the auction began. If anything, I figured the same thing would happen as with that Motorola set that went for $10k last year on Ebay: I bid but had no expectation of actually winning.

What ended up happening was the night before I told myself I won't get another opportunity to own a set like this, and since I was definitely interested, I sat down and hammered out a maximum bid that I could reasonably pay off. That number ended up being $4500. When the bidding stopped I hadn't yet reached $4500, and I won the set. I was really expecting more action on it, and initially I figured I'd get outbid very fast. But I think people were more interested in the CBS and Zenith sets, so since the 21-CT-55 came before those, they saved their money. I suppose the auction would have been very different if the set had come after the Zenith and CBS ones. As always, there's the luck factor...

In any event, I'm very happy to have it and I will make every effort to make this a first rate set. Right now I'm just doing some cursory cleaning, the electronic stuff will come farther down the road.