View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

It has probably been a month or more since I sat down in the TV room to actually watch something. Just not much on that is worth my time these days. Eventually I'll build on my collection of old shows on DVD and will get some more use. The fun of the hobby, for me, is bringing that set back from the dead, and tweaking it to work as much like new as possible. I do try, when I watch TV, to rotate. There are a few that work fine but haven't been turned on in over a year, and I know that isn't good for them.

Is the old TV hobby strange? As others have been quick to point out, there are a lot stranger things to get in to. I have an uncle who has quite a bit tied up in model trains. A great hobby, and I love to look at that stuff. When we share stories I can tell he doesn't have quite the level of respect for my hobby as I do for his; but his hobby is well established, with a much larger base. We are still on the "fringe". But when it comes down to it, which is stranger: spending thousands on old toy trains or on old TV sets?

I will say this: I have met a variety of people through my hobby, and some of them were strange ducks, indeed! Some of them probably said the same about me! But I don't think the hobby had anything to do with them being strange...these are just unusual people who I would never have met had we not had this one thing in common.