View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
2 many toys,Not enough $$

Hey Steve,

Right now the Packard Bell is on a back burner for now since it does currently work. (Just a crackle in the back by the HV cage and sometimes diagonal lines on a black screen.) The Hoffman is my main thing right now. I don't know alot about old electronics so what I thought would be smarter is since it is a "Rare" find, (I'm not sure how rare it truely is. Would be nice to know.) I am going to have someone who is a pro in doing these kinds of things restore the chassis. Most I'm doing now is simply cleaning up 50+ years of dust grime and dirt. All purpose cleaner, Q-tips,paper towels and an old rag got the chassis to a real close polish. But them old circuits, Especially them old wax/paper caps are a B#$%# to clean to read them. I'm cleaning this one now since I have the chassis out and getting ready for the "Hospital". I know for a fact, The cleaner the object your working on, The easier it is. And since I know the guy and the amount of work I'm about to give him, I want everything to be easier for him. This poor set had to be in a smokers house, The speaker wires are grimy and sticky, Actually, almost all the wires are like that. Where is a place to get a new grille cloth and knobs for this set? Removing them old knobs,one broke off and the others are badly discolored and look brittle. I've decided that I'm going to have the Hoffman cabinet re-finished so she can relive her glory days. I hate seeing her like this. Cabinet beat to hell, Chassis inop, supposedly a bad tube, List goes on....But I have the determination to get all my old toys as close to new as possible. Still haven't been able to see a SAMS photofact to see how to remove the tube. It has a plastic housing that covers it that is busted in many places.

Last edited by Cruiseomatic; 12-28-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Audiokarma