View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 02:32 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty34 View Post
In your opinion.

I rarely will buy anything restored by someone else and especially when I see a boatload of yellow Chinese caps which look more at home in a transistor radio. The quality of the workmanship is a huge variable and entirely dependant upon the credentials and skill of the restorer. Phil has the credentials but I would not be a buyer for his CT100 when it eventually does come up for sale and I would like to find a nice one. I can watch Wizard of Oz on something else.
Those yellow chinese caps are great parts IMO I've been using them for close to 15 years and none of my early radio projects (which I've been into longer) have had a single problem related to those caps. As long as your not enough of a clod to melt the plastic with your iron, or subject them to more than their ratings they are light years ahead of the wax papers in something like a CT-100.
I personally like restored sets. Most work, especially by those who do TVs, is as neat as factory. Also on large projects I tend to hit burnout. If I had to restore a CT-100 I'd probably get burned out bad enough getting it to work watchably well, and sit on it that way until repair became necessary or I got back motivation. Something that has been pre-restored I can focus on that energy getting absolutely perfect. Also sets that complex require regular maintenance so you'll inevitably get 'under the hood' at some point.

I like to restuff caps on sets that I feel are worth the effort, and personally I see no reason why anyone would care about the wax/foil roll still being inside. If someone wants to learn about what made wax caps tick I'm sure they will be able to find those caps loose many decades from now.....Hell I've got about a shopping bags worth that I've saved from sets I've worked on.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4