View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 06:16 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Since urban public electric transportation is scarce in some parts of the world, I ask you: did you ever ride with the:
1) Tram (streetcar) (trolley) (trolleycar);
Yes, as a boy in Chicago. The Lake Street streetcar line actually ran underneath the "el" (elevated "subway") tracks.
2) Light rail;
I take this to be different from subway and el trains
We didn't have these in Chicago, but I rode them in other cities when I was an adult
3) Underground (subway);
Yes, New York, Chicago, and some other places
4) Trolleybus (trolleycoach) (trackless trolley)
Yes. took one as part of my daily commute to high school and later as part of my daily commute to college.

The Illinois Railway museum has a small working system to run antique trolley buses. They had good acceleration, drawing up to peak 400 amps (usually less) at 600 volts. I can recall the sound of the accelerator pedal hitting the floor, as the drivers would accelerate at maximum rate.

Bob Newhart, a comedian born in the Chicago suburb of Oak Park, had a routine about a new bus driver being trained to alternately accelerate and brake, to spin a passenger to the back of the bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5TTA4f7Q3E

and if so, how was you experience with it?

I always use the subway when visiting New York and Washington DC. Driving there is crazy unless you are forced to go somewhere away from the lines. On the other hand, once I graduated and got a good job, I also got a car. In some points in my career, I carpooled or took public transport on one leg and then had someone pick me up at the station.

In the 50s and 60s public transportation was heated but not air conditioned, and riding the subway with the windows open was extremely noisy.

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 06-18-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Audiokarma