View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 04:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

sorry to resurrect an old thread. i got busy and haven't worked on the set for a while and have just recently replaced the 4 caps mentioned earlier which were c701, c903, c904, plus c716 since its esr was somewhat high and it looked like it leaked. it was late when i was changing the caps out and on the last cap i did (c701) i was so focused on making nice solder connections that i put it in backwards after it failed the smoke test and i replaced the fuse for the deflection circuit and corrected the um.... error, the set is working about as well as it was before. the cap that was put in backwards was warm right afterwards so i watched a movie to see if maybe the cap would reform and the picture would improve but it didn't. i even swapped in another capacitor but no luck. after blindly checking other caps i checked the windings on the horizontal output transformer with my esr meter (t701) and noticed something strange(assuming that this is a regular transformer not some sort of coil or autotransformer or something). one side (secondary?) seemed normal to me (3 ohms) but the other side (primary?) was open so i tested from one of the taps on the open side to the each tap on the other winding and got 64 and 72 ohms respectively. but from the other tap (connected to the collector of Q701) doesn't show any connection to anything. could that be the issue? would the set even work and produce a picture if that winding was open? or do i just not even have a clue what i am talking about here lol

edit: i started wondering about the results i got using an esr meter so i grabbed my DMM and tested the windings and have about 39 ohms on the side with the transistor (i called it the primary? and it tested open) and .8 ohms on the side that my esr originally showed as 3 ohms and there is no short across the two. from my understanding an esr meter is an ac ohmmeter and a DMM uses dc? im guessing i should just ignore the results from using an esr meter then?

Last edited by StarquestMan; 02-25-2016 at 05:00 AM.