View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 02:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hitachi CT13C2 vertical screen distortion

Ive got a small 13" color solid state hitachi that I recently picked up and have been using as a bedroom set. It works great but ive started to notice some issues with vertical linearity quirks like waviness on vertical shapes like buildings and menu screens. Its mostly noticeable when objects enter and leave the right side of the screen (like if im watching a youtube video where someone is at a workbench working on something and he reaches for a tool off screen the whole portion of the screen will stretch towards the right). The picture is also getting slightly fuzzy. I decided to open it up again and play with the focus control on the flyback (which didn't really help) and i noticed that one of the little capacitors (not sure what type it is since there are many types that fall into the tic tac shaped rectangle category) had gotten warm enough to melt its waxy coating over a 3 inch diameter area around it. It is at c712 next to a small transformer in case someone who knows these sets or has a service manual was wondering. I also wasn't sure if it is common practice to simply do a full recap on these aging sets like what is done with audio gear, i haven't come up with any treads on this when searching though and was wondering if some Nichicon Fine-Gold series caps would bring this set to as good as or better than new picture quality?