View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I guess thats why they made replacement vibrators back in the day....
I'd be a lot more concerned about the short starting a fire under the dash and/or near the battery. Replacing a vibrator is an easy fix, and there is no damage done to the rest of the car (the underdash fuse would hopefully blow if the vibrator contacts were to weld shut); fixing the often horrendous damage caused by an under-dash fire (if not caught in time), however, would be a lot more work and potentially dangerous if the fire were to reach the fuel tank.

BTW, I wonder why this car radio even had a rectifier tube in the first place -- after all, a car battery supplies DC voltage as it is. Why rectify the input voltage twice? I also wonder why a 6X5 was used in this particular radio, rather than a 5Y3 or some other tube with a better track record as far as internal shorts are concerned. Personally, I'd rather go without a car radio than have this firetrap in my car. I wonder how many underdash fires and/or fatalities occurred during the time frame when these radios were in use in vehicles. I hope not too many.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.