View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Bob Galanter

With the edge of the glass recessed in back of the wooden cabinet, you are going to have a hard time to get the glass to release from the old foam rubber gasget which is essentially gluing the glass to the plastic crt frame.

Most people use a heat gun to warm up the glass and the old rubber and then carefully pry the glass away. I don't like applying heat to glass. Uneven heating of glass causes it to be stressed and risks cracking the glass.

I prefer to remove the crt from the plastic frame and remove the plastic crt picture frame from the cabinet. Then I squirt a liberal dose of WD40 or mineral spirits onto the rubber and let the petroleum based solvent slowely soften the rubber to the point which I can remove the glass by inserting a utility knife blade between the glass and the rubber gasget.

Of course all of that is done with the crt removed and the plastic crt frame removed from the set.

I think you would be well advised to remove the crt and do like the rest of us do. In the long run you will save time and possibly prevent yourself from cracking the safety glass. If you try to remove the glass while the crt and frame are still in the set, you will have a much harder time of it.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com