View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I hope you are counting Bumble Bee caps and those tubular white ceramic bodied Elmenco caps as paper caps because they are paper dielectric and despite looks are just as prone to failure.

Also Shango himself on many of his 'resurection' videos comments to the effect of "this is just to see it run. If you plan to use it you want to change all these caps."

When you loose a power transformer, flyback, etc doing a quick resurrection you'll learn that's not the way to go.
I'll do a resurrection when I want to confirm key unobtainium works, but as soon as I know it works I progress into a full recap... Atleast if I plan to use something or sell it as working.
Yes, I counted bumblebee and the ceramic tubular caps, as for the "Shango resurrection" comment I made I was meaning the same thing he meant as far as just to see how well it's working in its current condition without a full recap and then proceed with a recap from there, and that's because there were several service dates penciled in on the back cover of this TV which leads me to think that this TV lead a hard life and might be a high hours set, so I want to see how much work has been done to it and if (like you said) parts like the yoke, vertical, or horizontal output transformers or flyback are still functional. That's because as you saw in my initial post the picture of the Zenith Bugeye TV powered on it showed little to no Vertical and Horizontal Deflection on the screen (a horizontal line going across the screen with a small square underneath it) which I want to make sure that its not a yoke issue (as was suggested was a possible issue) or a failed H or V output transformer issue.

Also As far as the big Zenith goes what type of bulbs were used in the tuner for the backlights? I was thinking possibly a type 44 or type 47 (a 6.3V bulb) but I'm not sure and the only number stamped on the base of the bulbs that came out of the TV was the leter "W" (which I could only guess stands for Westinghouse) and the number "240" underneath.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 10-22-2021 at 02:25 AM.