View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
No, there doesn't seem to be HV which is kind of confusing because the HV rectifier is in really good shape and the Flyback is in really shape (no melted wax etc.)

The picture tube is glowing in the back and the Picture tube looks to be low hours as the cathode material inside is a shiny silvery color yet and not a dark gray color like a high hours tube would be.

I could pull the chassis and check some of the components underneath but in all honesty except for a bunch of dirt inside the chassis (its literally dirt, not dust, like it may of been in a garage or barn for many years) the set seems to be a low hour set.

from what I could see of the underside of the chassis from the topside I did see one Bumblebee cap (no idea of the value on it though as I couldn't make out the color code on it.)

As for the Bugeye TV I replaced all of the Deflection tubes on the TV and tried to temporarily hook up an 8 ohm bookshelf speaker to the output transformer, and turned on the TV and all I got out of the TV was a loud hum from the speaker which at first I thought maybe it was related to bad filter caps but then when I turned down the volume the hum went away.

Is it possible for an impedance mismatch in a tube audio circuit to cause a hum that can be adjusted by the volume control?

EDIT: Definitely failed filter caps, and I checked the date code on the picture tube on this TV and it does seem to be the original picture tube (or else a NOS tube because the picture tube is a GE branded Picture tube with a Date Code of 58-17 or 17th Week of 1958 which is right around the time period this TV was made, also I think the Selenium Rectifiers are going bad because when I powered on the TV I smelled a burning surfury smell coming from the TV that seemed to be coming from the Selenium Rectifiers.

So how do you remove the chassis out of the Zenith Bugeye TV? I'm asking because I don't see any obvious ways to get the Chassis out (marked screws or anything), also when I was trying to take the socket off the back of the CRT on the Zenith Bugeye TV I accidentally pulled the picture tube's base off (the plastic part with the pins on it that the socket plugs into) thankfully the wires are still intact but trying to feed the wires back into the pins in the base for resoldering is going to be tricky, also trying to figure out how to reglue the base back onto the CRT so it doesn't break off again.
Did you figure out how to work on the bugeye? The cabinet slides off the chassis by removing the top knobs and the two screws on the top and bottom rear edge of the cabinet wraparound. Probably, easier to lay set on it's face and it slides off.