View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I haven't heard of aftermarket remote on Zenith sets (it certainly was possible on some models).
Packard Bell on the other hand did not build a single set with factory remote (despite most of their TVs being remote ready) instead the remote was a dealer installed option...I believe they kept the interface standard for several years so you could ask for remote from new or save up for it after you've enjoyed your TV for some time.
OK, I was just wondering.

The good news is that the Zenith Bugeye TV should be a pretty simple resurrection/restoration, because its mostly ceramic disc caps I only counted 13 paper caps in the whole set, and the good news is that it seems like the main filter cap is still good yet (possibly a later replacement) but the rest of the electrolytic cans are either shorted or open according to my ESR meter, (one's a 3 section and one is a 4 section) which means that the hum I was hearing through the speaker may have been from one of the other electrolytic cans that had failed, in fact I might possibly be able to get the set to "work" ("resurrected" to borrow Shango's terms) by just replacing the failed electrolytic cans with new individual electrolytics.