View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fluorescent ballasts

Here's a weird one.
I have a light installation I am trying to do but it specifically needs to have that old "blinky-blink" effect you got on lamps before the instant-on ballasts became a thing and you had a starter module to get them going. From what I have dug up so far this seemed to pertain most to lamps with inductive ballasts, however all the examples I have found so far seem to not be for the four foot long tubes. Just the two foot ones which I am not using.
The other was that they were used with magnetic ballasts and google to point proved this right, until I noticed that some magnetic ballasts had an integrated instant-on feature. The last type I can find specified are "electronic" ballasts but the term is so generic that seems to cover both the modern units which are always instant-on, or just ballasts in general.

I do however notice that elsewhere in the world you can still find lights of all lengths that need starters, so I am assuming china is still cranking them out. Does anyone have a batter idea about what I am looking for?