Thread: 1963 Philco
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

1963 Philco

This is the one I bought from captainmoody and hauled all the way from Michigan. After using it for a few months the color went out and the picture started waving back and forth the way it does when the power supply filter caps start going out. It sat for about a year and I just got back to it last week. I checked all the tubes, only found a few weak IF tubes, and audio amp tube. Then I just replaced all the electrolytics and hoped for the best. Fired it up yesterday and it worked just fine.

But then I turned it on today to find I could only get a b/w picture. First I tried turning down the color killer, but it had no effect. This set originally came with orange drops, so I wasn't expecting a bad cap, I knew all the tubes were good because I just tested them. I'm not that familiar with color circuits, but I figured the problem had to be in a section that would effect all 3 colors, so I started testing resistors around the chroma bandpass amp, found a bad one, changed it, and then I had color again.

But then if I turned it off and let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes, then turned it back on, it would take a few minutes or so after the picture came up to see any color but green. But after that all 3 colors would be on consistently and the set would work fine. Then I switched the G-Y amp tube with the R-Y/ B-Y amp tube, let it sit for 30 min and turned it back on, and there was no difference, it was still all green for the first few minutes it was on. Then I pulled the chassis and resoldered the wire from the 400v supply to the R-Y / B-Y amp tube, then when I turned it on it was all green for only about 1 minute, then the other colors came in. An improvement, but something still might not be totally right.

This set uses the same chassis as the CTC-15, with Philco's own tuner, which I think is nicer than the RCA unit because it unplugs so you don't have to carry it around with the chassis when you pull it. The stereo and amp are also Philco's own design. I'm recapping it now, just as a preventitive measure. It is unusual in that it uses 3 output transformers, one feeding a center channel. The right and left each feed a single 4" speaker. While two 10" speakers (one on each side of the cabinet) are connected in series to the center channel transformer.

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:37 AM.