View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, the rollers which were missing were the ones which keep the film pressed tight against the sprockets. I bought a metal rod a Lowe's, cut some off, chucked it in the drill press, and sanded it down to the correct diameter, then I chucked that in my portable drill, and put a hacksaw blade in the vice. I used a caliper to keep checking back and in a few hours had the rollers made. Three were missing and the reproductions are in the projector now, and it works.

For the capstan pinch roller, which had turned to goo long ago, I used a piece of vinyl tubing and put some heat shrink on it. It fit the splined shaft well enough to work. It wouldn't work in a tape recorder, but since the film is sprocket driven I think my kludge should be good enough to get film to run.

My machine has a 1" lens, it was set up for home use. I want to change it to a 2" lens, and they are much cheaper used than the shorter focal lengths.

A kill switch is a great idea. I think I will set that up using X-10.

All I really need to do now is silver the mirror, get the audio amplifier recapped, and find a take up reel.

One reason I am committed to getting this machine going is it has been in the family since the 40s, and yes, you could say it was neglected. I will continue to tune it until it works as well as possible - hopefully that's acceptable. If not, will seek out a more modern machine.

Last edited by maxhifi; 08-06-2017 at 07:32 PM.